The editor will return manuscripts for issues of formatting twice before terminally rejecting an article. Some specific formatting of which all authors should be aware:
Word Count (excluding works cited list)
- Research & Theory Manuscripts -- no more than 8,000 words
- Application Manuscripts -- no more that 5,000 words
- Popular Media Manuscripts -- no more than 3,000
- One-inch margins on all sides
- Do NOT utilize a running head
- Do NOT number pages
- Major headings are required and need to be centered on the page
- All paragraphs should include first line indents
- Double-space all paragraphs
- Use only 12 pt. Times New Roman font for all text, figures, and tables
- Any tables used must be included IN THE TEXT and single spaced
- Tables must follow the format required by APA
- No photos will be accepted
- Include all references in the text
- DO NOT USE footnotes or endnotes
- The list of works cited must list works alphabetically and laid out flush left, single spaced, and with a hard return between each reference, formatted to the most recent APA guidelines
- JOLE encourages use of the first person pronouns “I” and “we” in submissions
- All verbiage that may identify the author(s) must be removed from the text prior to submission
- Do NOT include appendices; they will not be included in the final publication
- As applicable, authors must disclose human subjects treatment/IRB approval and any funding sources for the research/practice
- Unless otherwise noted within this specifications list, all submissions should comply with style and formatting requirements as outlined in the most recent edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA)
Submitting a Manuscript
Authors should follow these rules as they submit a manuscript.
- Submissions are ONLY received via the JOLE FastTrack site at http://jole.expressacademic.org/login.php
- ALL submissions must be uploaded as Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) files.
- Documents should be named with alphanumeric (letters and numbers) characters ONLY.
- Authors may submit a manuscript for consideration at any time.